Discover Dry Eye Relief
At Foothill Optometric Group, we provide accurate diagnoses and effective therapies for patients with dry eyes. Contact us now and give your eyes relief.
Causes & Symptoms of Dry Eye
Many people experience occasional dryness in their eyes, but chronic dry eye disease is something different. This happens when your tears aren’t able to provide the right amount of moisture for your eyes due to inadequate tear quality or quantity.
Dry Eye Risk Factors
You have a greater risk of developing dry eyes if:
- You are over 50
- You have:
- Hepatitis C
- A vitamin A deficiency
- Certain vascular diseases
- Your hormones are changing because of:
- You’re taking:
- You’ve had:
- Corneal surgery
- Stem cell treatments
- Exposure to radiation (such as chemotherapy)
Dry Eye Symptoms
If you have dry eyes, you may experience:
- A burning feeling in your eyes
- A feeling that dirt, sand, or an object is stuck in your eyes
- Excessive eye watering, redness, or itchiness
- Eyes that feel tired, even after sleeping or resting
Popular Dry Eye Treatments
Foothill Optometric Group provides an individualized approach to dry eye therapy. Based on your symptoms and cause of dry eyes, we might suggest any of the following treatments:
- Artificial tears: Lubricating eye drops shown to reduce many dry eye symptoms.
- Steroids: Topical medications with anti-inflammatory properties are shown to reduce even severe dry eye symptoms.
- Punctal Plugs: Small plugs your eye doctor can insert in your tear ducts to prevent your tears from draining too quickly. These plugs can boost the effectiveness of topical therapies when they are used together.
- Heat Masks: Compression masks that gently warm the skin to reduce the inflammation dry eyes often cause.
- Scleral Lenses: Contact lenses that often provide enhanced comfort for people with dry eyes by creating a fluid-filled reservoir between the lens and the cornea.
- Eyelid-Cleansing Wipes: Eye-safe cleaning products covered in a solution that may assist other dry eye therapies.