Working Side-by-Side Against Glaucoma
Glaucoma testing is included in every routine eye exam at Foothill Optometric. We’ll work hard to ensure this disease is caught in the earliest possible stage using advanced diagnostic technology.
Glaucoma is called “the silent thief of sight” because it develops slowly, and often presents with no warning symptoms. This condition is a group of eye diseases that cause progressive damage to your optic nerve, and it is the leading cause of blindness in patients over 60.
Although this disease usually affects older adults, there have been occurrences of glaucoma in young adults.
Early detection and swift management of glaucoma can save your vision, so contact us today to book your next eye exam!
Keep an Eye on Your Vision Health
Your eye is an intricate machine with many little jobs, and one of those jobs is producing aqueous humor. The aqueous flows in and out of the eye through the drainage angle, keeping pressure in the eye (called intraocular pressure or IOP) stable.
Increased intraocular pressure can result in damage to the optic nerve, causing vision loss.
The most common types of glaucoma
The most common types of glaucoma are:
- Normal-tension glaucoma: This condition damages the optic nerve with no effect on IOP levels.
- Open-angle glaucoma: This condition occurs when the drainage angle remains open, but the fluid doesn’t drain properly, resulting in difficulties maintaining proper IOP.
- Closed-angle glaucoma: This condition occurs when the drainage angle closes, causing a rapid increase in IOP levels.
Acute closed-angle glaucoma is considered an eye emergency requiring immediate treatment from a medical professional to prevent severe complications.
Contact us if you experience these symptoms
Contact Foothill Optometric if you experience these symptoms:
- Sudden and severe headache
- Eye pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blurred vision
- “Halos” around lights
- Redness in the eyes
If it is outside our office hours, proceed to the nearest emergency room or urgent care center.
We’ll Help You Manage
Routine eye exams are the key to detecting glaucoma in its early stages, and top-rated treatment can help keep your eyes healthy. This eye disease is manageable with regular care, and you can trust that Foothill Optometric will work hard to preserve your vision.
Healthy eyesight starts here. Contact us today if you have concerns about glaucoma or schedule your next eye exam.
Come See What We’re All About
Our Practice in Pleasanton
You can find us at the corner of Stoneridge Drive and Franklin Drive in picturesque Pleasanton, California.
- 6155 Stoneridge Drive, Suite #100
- Pleasanton, CA 94588
- Phone: 925.463.2150
- Email: [email protected]
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 8:15 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 8:15 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 8:15 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 8:15 AM – 7:30 PM
- Friday: 8:15 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: 8:15 AM – 2:30 PM
- Sunday: Closed